LLR Books

English Hill


Just northeast of what is today Judiciary Square was an area known as English Hill, (Sometime before 1820, an English family named Cook owned, most of the property, hence the name) Oddly enough, most of residents of English were Irish but it wasn’t called Irish Hill because just south of the square was another area called Irish Hill in what is now the neighborhood between 3d,  F and G streets NW.  The Irish neighborhood was busted apart when tens of dozens of row houses were built in the area and housed the likes of Daniel Webster and John C. Calhoun.