The Long Bridge, now essentially the 14th Street Bridge, was commissioned by Congress in 1808 and built by the Mandville Brothers who used mostly Irish laborers. The first bridge was a toll bridge and opened on May 20, 1809. The British, being the unhappy souls they are, set fire to the north end of the bridge after leaving the Battle of Bladensburg (Maryland) on August 25, 1814. (At the same time the Americans set fire to the south end of the bridge) It was rebuilt in 1816. Below, the Union troops cross the Long Bridge.